Born in 1962 in Athens, Greece.
Address: 135 rue de Montreuil, 75011, Paris, France
Anastassia Tsoukala, PhD in Penal Law and Criminal Sciences (University of Paris I – Panthéon-Sorbonne), MA in Criminal Policy and Human Rights (Universities of Paris X-Nanterre/Paris XI), BA in Criminology (University of Paris II – Panthéon-Assas), BA in Law (University of Athens), is tenured Associate Professor at the University of Paris XI.
She is also Associate Editor of the political sciences quarterly Cultures & Conflits (www.conflits.org). Co-editor of the book series Transnational Crime, Crime Control and Security (Palgrave Macmillan: http://www.palgrave.com/PRODUCTS/Series.aspx?s=TCCCS); Member of the National Commission for Human Rights (Greece).
Visiting Professorships: University of Marmara, 2008 (Turkey); Université Libre de Bruxelles, 2009, 2010 (Belgium); Collegium Civitas, 2010 (Poland).
Area of expertise
- Security policies and human rights in Europe.
- Social construction of threat.
Research areas: football hooliganism, immigration, counter-terrorism.
- Senior Researcher: University of Paris V-Sorbonne.
- Research Associate: Institute of International Relations, Panteion University (Athens); Centre for Study of Conflicts (Paris).
Participation, as senior researcher, in the following EU research projects:
- European Liberty and Security [ELISE] 5th Framework Programme (2002/05: www.libertysecurity.org/mot99.html).
- Changing Landscape of European Liberty and Security [CHALLENGE] 6th Framework Programme (2004/09: www.libertysecurity.org).
- COST Action A24 The Evolving Social Construction of Threat, 6th Framework Programme (2004/08: www.cost-a24.info).
- The role played by migrants in the Euro-Mediterranean relations, EuroMeSCo (2007/08).
- The Changing Landscape of JHA Cooperation in the EU and EU-Canada, 7th Framework Programme (2008/09).
- COST Action ISO807 Living in Surveillance Societies, 7th Framework Programme (2009/12: http://www.liss-cost.eu).
Participation, as scientific coordinator, senior researcher or expert, in numerous research projects in France, Belgium, Greece, Switzerland and Canada.